How a Business Coach Can Help You Turn Your Business Into a Valuable Asset
“If I had 6 hours to cut down a tree, I would spend the first 4 hours sharpening my axe” – Abraham Lincoln.
What has this to do with turning your business into a valuable asset, creating wealth or financial freedom?
Most people are chopping away each day with a blunt axe. They are doing lots of works, chewing up valuable time, exhausting themselves and not seeing much results.
Most small business owners would relate to this.
Let’s take a look at 3 scenarios.
1. You spend 3 years in a job, exchanging time for money. You are employed.
Here you are working for a salary.
2. You spend 3 years running your own business, but you are still self-employed. You are still exchanging time for money, and your business is dependent on you to make money.
Here you are working to make profits to get through the day.
3. You spend 3 years turning your business into a valuable asset. You are not trading time for money. Your business is doing the work making you money, not you. You are a business owner.
Here you are making profits plus creating wealth.
Which option would you choose?
It’s the same amount of time, but the results are very different.
This is why you often hear the saying – “the rich keep getting richer”. It’s because they do smarter things with their time than everyday people. Their businesses continue to grow, year after year and make them money, independent of them. They understand how wealth is created.
Working hard does not create wealth; it burns you out. Building a business engine for your small business that does the work for you creates wealth and doesn’t burn you out.
I do not know about you, but I have never wanted to create wealth in my life slowly. I’ve always wanted to create wealth and enjoy it. I have always known this. I have always known I wanted to live life on my terms and be in charge of my own financial destiny.
What I didn’t know was how to achieve this, and for the first part of my business career, I was chopping down trees for hours each day with a blunt axe.
1. After I graduated from university, I got my first job as a junior engineer and was working 40 hours a week for a salary. I soon realised this was never going to make me rich and being told what to do each day – well, that was no freedom, and I left after 6 months.
2. I started my first real business at age 23 with my partner Gary, in my fathers shed with just $800. For the next fourteen months, it was living hell. No matter how hard we worked, nothing improved. We were not making money and were exhausted. Despite giving up three times, we forged on for the next 5 years and created a $12 million company.
Then I lost the lot and learned the single most important lesson in business:
“The difference between being Self Employed and being a Business Owner”
Although this business was a $12 million company, it had very little value. My business was totally dependent on me running it. As I tried to “fix” my knowledge gaps myself, my business consumed me, and eventually, I burnt out and collapsed under the pressure and lost everything I had worked so hard for.
It took me seven years to regain my confidence and give business another go. This time, however, I did things smarter.
3. I took my painful lessons, created a smart business system, applied it to a new idea and created a business valued at $3.5 million after just 2.5 years.
“I created a business engine that added value to my business and did the work for me.”
This system ensured my business was designed from day 1 to give me time and money freedom. It was making profits plus creating wealth.
I had learned to cut down trees with a sharp axe. And I have been doing this ever since – turning businesses into valuable assets for the past 15 years.
Most businesses make the same everyday common mistakes as I did when I first started out.
“They don’t do tasks in their business to set themselves up for the future. Instead, they do tasks to get themselves through the day.”
They work to make profits today, not to create wealth for their future. The Self Employed businesses held very little value because the businesses are dependant on the owner running them.
In contrast, the Business Owners’ businesses were not dependant on them. Their systems ran their businesses, generating profits consistently. These businesses therefore held significantly greater values.
Creating value in your business is the single greatest opportunity to improve your net wealth in the shortest amount of time.
Some people choose to invest in property to do this. This is great, but property requires lots of capital or debt and a return averaging 10 – 15 years.
Some people buy shares, but when pandemics like Covid and the 2008 Global Financial Crisis hit, they have little control over their wealth being wiped out.
With your small business, you can use joint ventures just like I do to set up your entire operation with very little risk and overheads by leveraging off the infrastructure, resource, experience and customers of others. And by ensuring your business is adequately set up to compete in today’s digital landscape, you can future proof your business and create a valuable asset instead of just another struggling small business.
Everyone in business who has taken risks and made sacrifices along the way deserves a good outcome!
Ask yourself if what you are doing right now in your business is setting you up for your future? If it isn’t, then maybe we chat about how my smart business system can help turn your business into a valuable asset to set you up for life.
Find Out How a Business Coach Can Help You Turn Your Business Into A Valuable Asset
Trying to survive in business can be exhausting, especially if you are always trying to solve the problems yourself. Are you frustrated, confused, and not sure what to do next? This is not how the picture of your business should look.
I understand this completely. I have been doing this for most of my adult life, and many times I have had to deal with struggles and pain alone.
Being a small business owner doesn’t have to be a lonely ride.
- Do you want help systemising your entire business operation, so you do not have to worry each day?
- Need a practical exit strategy to turn your business into a valuable asset to set you up for life?
- Want a proven marketing plan that has helped many other “offline” businesses just like yours to successfully integrate and grow their brand online?
- Do you want to remove yourself from the daily grind and get your life back?
- Do you want to optimise your business, improve efficiency, ramp up sales, maximise profits, reduce overheads and improve cash flow?
- Need help managing and motivating your team to operate at optimum performance?
If so, we should have a chat.
In the meantime, have a look at some real results from our previous clients. Many of them are small business owners who were struggling with similar issues you may be experiencing right now.
I hope that you find this useful. If you would like a no-obligation, pitch-free business discovery session to see if we can help you get to where you want to go, then please book a time here.
I certainly would enjoy helping you on your business journey, whatever stage you are at, to reach your lifestyle of choice.
Thanks for sharing your time with me. I look forward to discussing how we can get your business working for you.
I wish you the very best on your journey.